Sunday 3 June 2012

Warlord Games' Macedonian Phalangites


I've succumbed to the temptation of another 28mm unit for my rapidly growing, yet disparate forces of an "Ancient Mediterranean" nature and decided to work on a box of the Warlord Games plastic Macedonian Hoplites.


There are 10 sprues in the box with for figures on each. As my normal units tend to be of 24 figures, i can se myself endind up with a second pack to create a three units at least. 






Construction is relatively straightforward with only a head (there are 6 per sprue) pike arm (6 again) and a shield to attach to the body. Effectively the sprue cives an opportunity to make a file of four figures. the only real variation is in the poses available for the two rear ranks. However as the discipline of a phalanx would have been very tight, I elected to use the same two poses for the first set of 24 men. Note I've chosen to add the shields later.




Just to get a sense of the challenges they present, I've begun by doing a 2 x 2 block of the first and second rank figures which I still base to the old WRG norm of a 15mm frontage. The 2 x 2 gives stability and stops pikes from getting entangled. The whole unit will be 3x(2x2) 2x(1x4)  1x(1x2) and 2x(1x1)  In painting them I realised I'd perhaps made a mistake in attaching th pike arms early. It was difficult to get at the detail behind.

So here they are, finished off with a wash of Coat d'Armes light brown Supershader. The decals come with the box.







1 comment:

  1. That's very helpful, Jeremy. I just received the first box of these today (I'd ordered and paid for four boxes, so I'm sensing a bit of foreshadowing...).

    ReplyDelete